How we will process, disclose your personal information, and communicate with you.
1) DEFINITIONS: Chiropractor: refers to Dr Young or any of her associates practicing under the name of Better Backs. Staff: refers to any administration staff that is employed by Dr Young You and Your: refers to the patient and any dependants which are patients of the practice, including your spouse, children, or dependants. Personal information: refers to personal information about you, relating to an identifiable, living, natural person and, where it is applicable, an identifiable, existing juristic person, including by not limited to:
Information relating to the age, gender, race, sex, pregnancy, marital status, social, national, or ethnic origin, colour, sexual orientation, physical or mental health, well-being, disability, culture, language, and birth of the person
Information relating to the education or the medical, financial, criminal or employment history of the person
Any identifying number (including passport), e-mail address, physical and postal addresses, telephone number/s, location information, online identifier, or other particular assignment to the person
The biometric information of the person
The personal views or preferences of the person
The views of another individual about the person; and the name of the person if it appears with other personal information relating to the person or if the disclosure of the name itself would reveal information about the person
Correspondence sent by the person that is of a confidential and or private nature or further correspondence that would reveal the contents of the original correspondence
The above definition is applicable to both individual persons (patients) and entities (service providers)
Processing: any operation or activity or any set of operations, whether or not by automatic means, concerning personal information, including but not limited to:
The receiving, collection, recording, organisation, collation, storage, updating or modification, retrieval, alteration, consultation, or use
Distribution by means of transmission or making available in any other form or
Merging, linking as well as restriction, degradation, erasure, or destruction of information
2)WHAT PERSONAL INFORMATION IS COLLECTED? When you visit, browse, register, or interact through this practice’s website or directly with the staff, the following personal information about you may be collected:
Name and Surname
ID / Passport Number
Medical Aid Details
Information relating to your computer’s Internet Protocol (IP) address, browser type and version, the pages of our website that you visit, the date and time of your visit, the duration of time spent on the website pages and other applicable statistics.
Personal information may also be collected from you directly during your intake consultation and during ongoing consultations.
Where the law requires that information regarding certain diseases be reported to the authorities, this practice will do so without delay.
This practice may also collect, use, and share data, including but not limited to, statistical or demographic data for any purpose.
This aggregated data may be derived from your personal information but is not considered personal information in law as this information does not directly or indirectly reveal your identity.
3) PURPOSES FOR WHICH THIS PRACTICE USES YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION Any information collected from you may be processed for, amongst others, the following purposes:
To provide you with healthcare treatment and or services
To make an online or telephonic appointment
To assess your health condition
To assess any medical treatment, you may require
To process any enquiries that you may have
For research or statistical purposes
To diagnose and attend to technical issues, support, and user queries
To comply with legislative requirements
4) CATEGORIES OF PERSONAL INFORMATION This practice processes many different categories of personal information which includes, but is not limited to:
Contact details: phone numbers, physical and postal addresses, email addresses
Personal details: names, family information and ages
Demographical details: such as race and age groups
Special personal information as it relates to your medical treatment
Financial information, such as account numbers
Medical scheme information and background medical history
Market intelligence information that may relate to your well-being
5) PROTECTION OF YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION This practice and its staff take the security of your personal information very seriously and intends to protect the integrity and confidentiality of your personal information.
This practice recognises the vital role that information technology (IT) plays in its daily operations and the predominantly reliance placed on IT systems in processing your personal information.
This practice has implemented reasonable technical and security measures, including but not limited to, password and encryption measures to keep your information secure, accurate and safe. Reasonable technologies and tools have been implemented to detect and prevent security violations. However, absolute security cannot be guaranteed of any information you transmit to us online and do so at your own risk. Your personal information will be held and used for as long as permitted for legal and legitimate business purposes.
6) DISCLOSURE OF YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
This practice may disclose your personal information if authorised to do so by law or with certified medical aid schemes for the purposes of processing your medical aid claims.
This practice also engages with various third parties, to improve its service, create efficiency in its operations and contribute to the overall well-being of users and patients.
This practice will share your personal information if:
You have provided written consent
It is for the proper treatment and care of yourself
And / or if it is in accordance with applicable law
When this practice shares your personal information with any third party, they will be required to respect your right to privacy and will therefore ensure that all necessary safeguards are in place to secure your personal information.
This practice will only allow third parties to process your personal information for a specific purpose, in accordance with this practice’s instructions and applicable law.
7) RETENTION OF YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION This practice may retain all personal information that is collected from you, if it remains necessary for the purposes for which it was collected, unless there is a valid legal, technical or business reason for it to be deleted or destroyed.
Records remain active for six years post last treatment or for as long as it is required by law; if it required by a code of conduct; if it is reasonably needed for lawful purposes; related to this practice’s functions and activities; or is needed for evidentiary purposes.
Records shall only be made available in accordance with the Promotion to Access of Information Act 2 of 2000.
8) DIRECT MARKETING This practice does not use data for marketing purposes, in conjunction with the code of ethics of the Allied Health Professions Council of South Africa. However, to ensure continuous improvement of care and service offering, you may be asked to complete service experience questionnaires from time to time.
9) STORAGE AND TRANSFER OF YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION This practice stores your personal information on its servers and / or third-party servers.
This practice reserves the right to transfer to and / or store your personal information on servers in a jurisdiction other than where it was collected.
10) COOKIES A cookie is a small piece of data sent from our website to your device or internet browser where it is saved. The cookie contains information to personalize your experience on this practice’s website and its applications and could identify your device, smart phone or computer.
By using this practice’s website and applications, you agree that cookies may be forwarded from the relevant website or application to your computer or device and save your preference for future visits.
You will have the right to choose whether to accept cookies, however, should you choose not to accept the cookies, you may not have full accessibility or functionality of the website or mobile applications.
When you interact with this practice’s website, you will come across links to other websites and applications.
You also acknowledge that by clicking on a link, you do so at your own risk and will not hold this practice liable for any loss or damage that may occur.
11) PROCESSING OF CHILDREN’S INFORMATION This practice respects the rights of children.
This practice will only process personal information of children if the consent of a competent person has been obtained, or if required by law to do so.
12) PURPOSE STATEMENT While complying with applicable privacy and data protection legislation, your personal information including, but not limited to, your health records may be exchanged with other healthcare providers and / or your medical aid schemes, with your consent.
When you attend this practice:
We will share clinical information in a secured way among healthcare professionals and service providers to improve your treatment and overall care
Facilitate healthcare system cost savings
Improve quality, safety, and efficiency of the healthcare you receive through an increased administrative and clinical interchange process, whilst implementing consumer privacy
14) YOUR RIGHTS This practice will, at all times, process your personal information in accordance with applicable laws. Your rights are set out below:
You have the right to correct your personal information if it is incorrect.
You have the right to update your personal information if your details have changed.
You have the right to object to the processing of your personal information.
You have the right to your personal information being deleted.
You have the right to be informed if your information has been deleted.
If you would like to exercise any of your rights:
Submit a written to any objection that you may have.
Request destruction of your personal information if it is being retained for longer than required by law.
You acknowledge that, in some cases where this request conflicts with the applicable law, this practice may not be able to comply with your request to delete or destroy your personal information.
15) INFORMATION REGULATOR You have the right to complain to the Information Regulator, whose contact details are: Tel: (012) 406 4848 E-mail: email@example.com
17) DECLARATION By clicking on this page or link:
You have read the contents of this policy;
You understood the contents of this policy;
You are in agreement with the contents of this policy;
You have no objections to your personal information being managed in this way by the practice and
That you have no questions regarding the contents of this policy.
For more information or to make an appointment, please contact us:
Dr Charmaine Young (Chiropractor) Tel: +27 (0)11 039 4160 Cell: +27 (0)73 222 0082 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Iris Wellness Centre 1 Iris Road Bedfordview 2007